Facebook

Recent News

September 2014 Tip Of The Month from Kitsap County DEM

The air has a different feel in it, fall is coming. Time to think about getting yourself prepared for the winter. Maybe preparing yourself for an earthquake. KCDEM provides free training and information for you to take that next step.

August 2014 Tip of The Month

In the modern world, social media has become an instant method of sharing information during emergencies. It is important to use social media responsibly during these times. The wrong Tweet or post could cause more harm than good.

July Tip of the Month

Burn Ban In Effect July 14, 2014

Fire Marshal calls for burn ban in Kitsap County As hot and dry weather conditions continue the outdoor fire danger has increased. In response Kitsap County is issuing a fire safety burn ban in unincorporated areas of the County effective July 14, 2013. This is a Phase 1 burn ban and applies to all outdoor […]

Firework Regulations for SKFR

Time of sales. City of Port Orchard: Begins – 12:00 noon on June 28th, with permitted stands only. There will be some stands not permitted at this time, and will not be permitted until Monday. Ends – 9:00 pm on July 5th Generally no sales to occur between 11:00 pm to 9:00 am the following […]

Events

«  September  2014 »
SMTWTFS
 123
  • Adult CPR & First Aid
    6:00 PM-9:30 PM
    1974 Fircrest Drive SE, Port Orchard, WA (Station 8)
456
78
  • Pre-Agenda Commission Meeting
    6:00 PM-8:00 PM
    1974 Fircrest Drive SE, Port Orchard, WA (Station 8 Training Room)
91011
  • Regular Commission Meeting
    6:00 PM-8:00 PM
    1974 Fircrest Drive SE, Port Orchard, WA (Station 8 Training Room)
1213
14151617181920
2122
  • Pre-Agenda Commission Meeting
    6:00 PM-8:00 PM
    1974 Fircrest Drive SE, Port Orchard, WA (Station 8 Training Room)
232425
  • Regular Commission Meeting
    6:00 PM-8:00 PM
    1974 Fircrest Drive SE, Port Orchard, WA (Station 8 Training Room)
2627
282930 

On February 28th SKFR responded to a structure fire in an apartment complex. The outcome was a good reminder for everyone to make sure their smoke alarms are working.

The occupant of the home was bathing his two small children when the alarm sounded. Upon investigation he found heavy smoke coming from the children’s bedroom. He evacuated the apartment and took the children to the neighbors and asked them to call 911. He then went back to the apartment with an extinguisher and extinguished the fire.

Upon investigation it was determined that the fire was started when a stuffed toy or pillow was left on a baseboard heater. The toy then caught fire, charring the wall and the dresser nearby. The fire damage was contained to the bedroom, with minimal smoke damage in the rest of the unit.

Because of a working alarm, no one was injured and the fire was quickly extinguished. Please take a minute to make sure your smoke alarms are working properly.

 

Comments are closed.